East Coast Sea Kayaking Club

Home > Forum > Forum > General discussion > What's in a name?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What's in a name?

What's in a name? 13 years 4 months ago #230

• Julian Haines
  • Thank you received: 361
As far as I know, the official name of this club has always be East Coast Sea Kayaking Club. Whilst accurate and fully descriptive, the name causes problems at times. The full name is too long and/or too much of a mouthful to be used in contexts such as web domain names, logo design and informal conversation, so it gets abbreviated.

Whilst accurate and concise, the abbreviated name, ECSKC, is unpronounceable as an acronym, with the result that the club is variously referred to as "East Coast", "Feckers" or such like. These are okay to those in the know, but unhelpful to outsiders. For some reason, probably the mixture of C's and K's, ECSKC is often mis-typed and/or mis-remembered. It's also meaningless as part of a T-shirt logo, except to those in the club.

So, there's a move to try to find a new name for the club which is more suitable and addresses some of the problems with the existing name. Finding a good name is suprisingly difficult, so we're not going to commit to changing the name unless we find a substantially better alternative.

We'd like your help. Please get your thinking caps on and make suggestions here. I'm not going to give any further guidance, because I don't want to stifle creativity. There's no specific deadline, but we'd like to have something within a few weeks.
Julian Haines, Leaders' Officer and Web Admin
Send Email or see other contact details (members links)
Contact Me (non-members)

Blazer: Black Swan. Available 1st March. Pre-save on Spotify here:
distrokid.com/hyperfollow/blazer6/black-swan-2
The topic has been locked.

Re: What's in a name? 13 years 3 months ago #235

• Gary Quinn
Interesting box to open J. While I don't (yet) have a name to throw in the pot I have always thought the existing name somehow locates us as being nowhere in particular (especially when coupled with the .EU domain)

Most of us probably think the Irish coastline is very much somewhere but the name ecskc.eu (even when written in full) makes it a bit hard to identify. So, if we do get to the point of changing, might it be a good idea to steer in a word that would provide an Irish locater?

Gary

Re: What's in a name? 13 years 3 months ago #236

• Julian Haines
  • Thank you received: 361
Good points Gary. Not exactly overwhelmed with suggestions so far. Here's one possibility:

DUblin Sea Kayakers (DUSK)

Any views on this, or other suggestions?
Julian Haines, Leaders' Officer and Web Admin
Send Email or see other contact details (members links)
Contact Me (non-members)

Blazer: Black Swan. Available 1st March. Pre-save on Spotify here:
distrokid.com/hyperfollow/blazer6/black-swan-2

Re: What's in a name? 13 years 3 months ago #238

• Bridin Finn
Thoughts we have had....

Eastcoast Sea Kayakers (ESK)
Eastcoast Kayakers
Dublin Bay Kayakers (DBK)
Dublin Bay Paddlers (DBP)
Dublin Bay Sea Kayakers (DBSK or DSK)
Dublin Bay Kayak Club (DKC)

These can be shortened to acronyms or if the name is kept minimal we may not need an acronym.

I know that we paddle more than Dublin Bay,and do not want to make anyone feel less included (i.e those from Wicklow etc.) but we also paddle more than the east coast.

Maybe the committee can decide the name if there are some more people in agreement of the name change. [/size]

Re: What's in a name? 13 years 3 months ago #242

• Tony Walsh
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 130
Wicklow is not offended...well, Rathnew isn't anyway!

Re: What's in a name? 13 years 3 months ago #245

• Nicolas Depezay
here's a few more thoughts thrown in:

Not sure of the origin of Feckers but just in case....Federation of East Coat Kayakers?
and to include Skerries, Ireland Eye, Lambay etc (without offending Wicklow's) why not Irish Sea? e.g.
    Sea Kayaking Irish Sea - SKIS
    Kayaking Irish Sea - KIS
    Paddling Irish Sea - PIS
    Irish Sea Paddling - ISP

I'm sure there's more

(agree the name as it is isn't great, uninspiring, difficult to remember etc)

Nic
Moderators: Julian Haines
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds