Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Social Distance Rescues

Social Distance Rescues 3 years 9 months ago #14118

• Susan Honan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 311
Agree Leon..especially about the skeg...I love my paddle float! I carry it on my deck all the time. It is good to practise self rescues with it regularly. I've used it to for heel hook entry in 5star conditions and for 're enter and roll just in case my usual one doesn't work. There's no way I could ever cowboy self rescue so paddle float is my 'go to' if my roll doesn't do the job. It's fun to practise and doesn't take long to get the hang of it.
On the issue of social distance heel hook rescues..I find it much harder to brace the rescuee boat at the bow or stern as there's just less kayak to lean on.. so skeg down there might help too..the person doing the heel hook could reduce their weight by lying as flat as possible against the kayak as they rotate into the cockpit.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Susan Honan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Social Distance Rescues 3 years 9 months ago #14119

• MICHAEL CARROLL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 667
The casualty is supposed to keep low to the deck with a low centre of gravity and not sit upright until their backside is in the seat. Its a common mistake for the casualty to sit up on the back deck before getting into the seat which makes the rescuer's effort all the more difficult. The casualty could also use the paddle float when you are giving them an assisted heel hook while you brace across the bow - this is braces and a belt rescue and would take the pressure off the rescuer bracing across a narrow piece of bow. We must try them all when we can get back paddling. I don't think the use of the skeg helps or hinders any rescue.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by MICHAEL CARROLL.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Moderators: Julian Haines
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds