Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cold water paddling

Cold water paddling 3 years 2 months ago #15311

• MICHAEL CARROLL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 667
The club is not getting out on organised paddles due to Covid lockdown and some club members who live near the sea might be tempted to go paddling solo or in groups of two. The leader group who usually lead all club organised paddles are very experienced in the safe planning of these paddles to ensure all members have a safe and enjoyable experience. They are unavailable to lead under the present lockdown rules.
It is unfortunate that the current strict lockdown coincides with the onset of very cold weather. In some cases where you may be considering paddling on canals or small lakes near you there may be considerable amounts of ice on the waters here as there is on the canals around my area of Naas. I paddled there in recent days and while it is possible to crash through ice up to quarter inch thick with the boats bow and your paddle it is quite dangerous. The paddle easily skips on the ice as you try to break through and you can in these circumstances easily tip over and crash through the ice. Cold shock gasp reflex is common in such circumstances and you will not be able to break through even quarter inch thick ice from underneath. What to wear on cold water is crucial as you must plan for immersion - always.
Attached is a report of an incident which took place on a US river and analysis of what went wrong by Moulton Avery an acknowledged guru on cold water shock.
Think of what you are wearing if paddling solo - especially hands and head. It might be sunny and calm and if you are on your own you might not think to bring all your safety gear.
Think of posting your float plan with friends before launching. Carry a phone in a usable drypouch on your body and a VHF radio if you have one. Wear a drysuit with thermal liners or a good full body wetsuit. If you are not sure about the trip don't hesitate to call any of the club leaders or email them the day before to discuss it. Contact details are on the website.
Safe paddling out there.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by MICHAEL CARROLL.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ciaran Quinlan

Cold water paddling 3 years 2 months ago #15312

• John Markham
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
Thanks Mick,
I had my first experience of paddling in ice this morning. It was fun crashing through the ice, but where the ice was thicker it became obvious it could be a hazard.
The novelty wore off when it took more work to break the ice. Leveraging off of ice can go wrong, so a very light grip on the paddle seems sensible, also it's tempting to put the blade right in close to the boat where there is water, but again it's possible to get the paddle caught beneath the ice, wedged between the boat and ice. Probably the key take away is to take your time and be careful when exerting force on the ice, just because there's support for a moment doesn't mean it will be there at moment + time T. It's ice.

Cold water paddling 3 years 2 months ago #15313

• MICHAEL CARROLL
  • Platinum Boarder
It's a novelty alright and for that reason probably should be avoided. So easy to have your paddle skip as you try to crash it through the ice and you will follow it and tip over. What was fun two seconds ago could turn deadly serious then.

Cold water paddling 3 years 2 months ago #15316

My issue yesterday was that I store my Kayak outdoors and upside down. I did not check my Skeg before I left home as if I had I would have realised the water that had gathered in the skeg box had frozen solid. I was 20 minutes into my paddle before the Skeg was usable. myself and Paul also stopped for a quick bite on Lambay, however we quickly both get very cold, particularly out hands. So a take away from me is always have Dry Gloves and a dry hat handy, and check that ice has not jammed up your Skeg!

Cold water paddling 3 years 2 months ago #15317

• MICHAEL CARROLL
  • Platinum Boarder
Maybe a strip of duct tape over the skeg box might keep out water. As long as you remember to tear it off before you go paddling. The analysis document above is a good checklist of what to wear and bring with you for cold water paddling. Lucky you who live near the sea. Can't see any light at the end of the tunnel for landlocked people like me even in a return to L3.
  • Page:
Moderators: Julian Haines
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds