East Coast Sea Kayaking Club

 
Home > Forum > Forum > Meets and other events > Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019

Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019 3 months 3 weeks ago #12456

  • Gavan Sheridan
  • Gavan Sheridan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 154
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi All,
The curtain raiser for Summer 2019 is at 10:00 next Saturday in Killmore Quay. We will launch from the beach at the east end of town so as to avoid the unpleasant and dangerous lifting of boats over the rock armour at the west end of town. There is some parking at the east end; alternatively gear can be unloaded here before parking up in the large car park in the west end. Car pooling is recommended for many reasons. I can accommodate up to two others or be a passenger.

At this remove the weather conditions look favourable. Check here on Wednesday evening for any update based upon more accurate weather forecasts. This is a trip open to all members who are up to a full day's paddle. It will only go ahead if settled conditions prevail. I for one do not intend taking on a two hour drive for marginal conditions that would preclude rock hopping. Expect to be off shore till about 16:00 with a break of about 1.5 hours on Great Saltee.

Hope to see a good turnout.

Gavan
(contact details in Membership section)
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Gavan Sheridan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin Kavanagh, Dave Conroy, Pawel Janas, Séamas Kelly, John Lawlor, Paul Duggan

Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #12461

  • Gavan Sheridan
  • Gavan Sheridan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 154
  • Thank you received: 55
Just to say that conditions continue to look favourable for the Saltees trip this Saturday. One area of concern is the fact that the wind is predicted to get up in the afternoon. At present a NE of F4/F5 is predicted for 15:00. If this were to happen it would mean a fairly stiff headwind for 3km or so back to port once we leave the shelter of Little Saltee. The timing and strength of this spike of wind passing through has been varying over the last few days and from one source to the next. We will plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best one.

The bottom line is that this is now a L3 paddle for paddlers prepared to put the head down and slog for 3 km in a stiff breeze. The offshore nature of the wind means the water will not be rough.

Take it that the trip is going ahead as planned. However, check here again on Friday early evening in case conditions deteriorate.

Gavan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #12462

  • Pawel Janas
  • Pawel Janas's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 252
  • Thank you received: 56
See you there Gavan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #12464

  • Paul Duggan
  • Paul Duggan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 15
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks Gavin, I should also be able to make this.

Going from Rush, I have space on my car roof for one more boat, plus a passenger if needed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #12465

  • Robert doyle
  • Robert doyle's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 132
  • Thank you received: 9
Excellent Gavin. Really looking forward to this trip. See you there.
Rob
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saltees Saturday 30th March 2019 3 months 2 weeks ago #12466

  • Séamas Kelly
  • Séamas Kelly's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 41
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks, Gavan; hope to make it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Julian Haines
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds