East Coast Sea Kayaking Club

Home > Forum > Forum > Meets and other events > URGENT - The Big Paddle
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: URGENT - The Big Paddle

URGENT - The Big Paddle 2 months 1 week ago #12590

Hi Everyone, Just to let you that unfortunately, the Big Paddle has to be postponed til 2020, see more from the post below from Donal and Jon.
Margaret Farrell
Hi ROOs

It is regret that both Jon and I have come to the decision on postpone The Big Paddle until next summer 2020. This decision was not taken likely as we know that a lot of people have invested massive time, energy and enthusiasm into the project.

From the inception of this project, the primary aim of this project has been to bring together the Irish Sea Kayaking Community and to create something that would leave a positive legacy. We believe firmly that can still happen.

No stone was left unturned in our effort to secure insurance at an acceptable and workable price. While we did not manage get insurance in place for our August scheduled date, I do sincerely believe that it is achievable. It will take movement, compromise and creative thinking to get the insurance across the line. We have two major parties that do want to insure the event but they have both placed stipulations on us that are not workable to make this years timeline and we need to get them both to work together with us in the coming months and negotiate a more palatable outcome for the Big Paddle.

Thankfully the work completed to date will not be lost. The safety, risk management and operating procedures will all be in place for next year. The website design and construction while not launched is there ready to go. Our decisions on sponsorship and nominated charities will stand for next year too. The media and social awareness campaign will just have to be extended and kept tipping over until next year too. The networking and the establishment of regional teams and committed paddlers I hope will hold through to next year and that the hundreds of sea kayakers will remain onboard for 2020.

We want to apologize to all those who scheduled their Summer and annual leave around the Big Paddle. People traveling home from abroad for the Big Paddle will no doubt be disappointed. Or those turning down opportunities on the understanding that they would clash with the Big Paddle will feel somewhat disappointed too.To everyone, we apologize for letting them down for now.

I hope that you as ROOs and that all paddlers will maintain the support and confidence in the project and us.

What is needed in the immediate days and weeks is to get the word out to the paddling community around Ireland.

The Big Paddle is postponed but definitely not cancelled!

We will need to keep our network together and work collectively to spread this message. Hopefully at some stage over the summer we will manage to meet up and ensure that a bigger and better event will evolve. Our aim is to have the insurance issue resolved by September at the latest so that we can present a definitive package for the event to everyone at the ISKA Symposium and to make use of winter training opportunities.

The Big Paddle will happen in 2020.

We would welcome your thoughts and comments from all the ROOs before we inform the wider paddling community. And finally, thank you all sincerely for your efforts so far.

Donal Dowd and Jon Hynes
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: susan Honan

URGENT - The Big Paddle 2 months 1 week ago #12592

• Dave Conroy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 77
2020 has a nicer ring to it ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Moderators: Julian Haines
Time to create page: 0.720 seconds